English Phonetics Diary (6)

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFU5kqxhD6s

Inspired by our teacher, I’ve decided to learn more about corrected speech. I also used this opportunity to check a new youtube channel, which I may use in the future. I watched a video called ‘Connected Speech: Assimilation, Elision & Intrusion | English Pronunciation’. It was uploaded almost two years ago on Billie English channel and focuses on introducing three features of connected speech in spoken language.

At first, the video introduces and explains the concept of connected speech - a stream of words in spoken language, when there are no boundaries between words. In contrast to how we write sentences, while speaking we tend to connect words by either changing, losing or adding particular sounds. Concepts introduced in the video include:
  • Assimilation - sounds change resulting in becoming more similar to the sounds near them
  • Elision - sounds are lost, it often includes the sounds at the end of words
  • Intrusion (or liaison) - sounds are added to link words, those sounds are usually: /j/, /w/, /r/
After explaining what each of them means and giving examples of their use, the presenter focuses on each of the sentences and gives specific information on why those changes are made. My favourite part of the video was definitely the min test at the end. I took this time to actually check myself and see if I am able to differentiate those concepts. This whole video was well-structured, starting with the short introduction, then expansion of the topic and test at the end. Finding changes myself was definitely more challenging than seeing them being pointed out.

There were a few things that got me thinking. The first is intrusion. When I heard of connected speech, the first thing that came to my mind was losing or changing the sounds while pronouncing bigger chunks of words. I somehow forgot that they may also be added. Only when I first heard the examples of intrusion, I realised that it’s being used. It may be more common for native speakers, and people from different countries connect words in various ways, but I’ve definitely heard and used connected speech.

Overally, this video was very useful. It was different from the previous ones and I’m glad I got to know a new English teacher. This time, it focused on introducing the concepts and actually recognizing them in sentences. It was less practical, but I certainly wasn’t overloaded with information. I appreciated the presenter - she was calm, spoke slowly and took her time giving and explaining examples. The topic was also the one I wanted to expand and I feel that I’ll look for more information and materials about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection on a lesson (2)

Reflection on the webinar (2)

Reflection on a lesson (1)